background

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Suicide prevention week

As a Clinical Social Worker I am exposed to and genuinely touched by many stories of suicide, both attempts and completions. Ironically, the week of suicide prevention brought the death of a couple of friends' teenage son. Hence, touching me both professionally and personally. This loss has left me with a need to express my sympathy for my friends, and put this tragedy someplace in my mind.

As a glass artist, if I can call myself that, I wanted to create something symbolic and meaningful; something that will visually represent the movement of suicide prevention education and solidarity (i.e. the teal and purple ribbon). Within this creation I wanted to express the healing thought that I have come to, which is that if those who have completed suicide could speak they would tell everyone not to do it. They would wish they could take it back, just as everyone they love wishes it could be taken back. So to symbolize these angels who have been taken too soon by suicide, I added white angel wings and a golden halo. The halo is tilted just slightly to emphasize the adolescent/rebellious spirit. 

My hope is to provide comfort to my friends and peace to all the families that have suffered from the effects of suicide.
If nothing else, if no one ever reads this  post, I know that I have created something that gives me peace.

For Cam, John, David, Dave, Angela, Amy, and the unknown others that I have been in contact with who have eventually given in to the momentary allure of suicide. I am a better person both personally and professionally for knowing each of these people.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Well stated!! I love you and your Art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi~
    I am Cam's Aunt Carolyn from Ohio. I would like to purchase one of your necklaces. How do I go about ordering one?
    Thank you for your efforts to raise awareness about suicide prevention. Your Angel is beautiful and meaningful.
    Carolyn Rose
    carolynwilderose21@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete